Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tasty treats from the Set

If you been following my tweets or facebook, you know that I have been working on a Warner Brothers Pilot, which I'm not suppose to give the title (Suburgatory). So don't ask me what the name of the Pilot was (Suburgatory), because I can't tell you. All I can say is that it will probably end up on the WB/CW, yup it's that kind of show. From what I can tell the show is about 'stereotypes' east coast vs the west coast; high school cool kids vs the non cool kids, valley parents vs metro parents, the usual bullshit nothing new. The thing about working on these type of shows is how tight the budget is and the long hours. There is a way to gage these things... if craft service is shitty the crew will be cranky. Craft service is decent to good the crew will put up with most anything (kind of stupid but true). Now you're asking yourself what is craft service (if not play along)? Today's Craft Service is about supplying snacks, treats, finger food, fresh fruit, coffee, cokes (sodas), water and juices; as you can read its purpose is to have a spread out for quick nibbles on the run. The spread can be like happy hour at trendy bar like hors d'oeuvre or a junk food junky with different kind of cookies, candies, donuts or sweets of any kind . Craft Service also brings in outside catering like; In-n-Out, soft taco guy (cooks it up in front of you), BBQ Ribs/Chicken, Hot Dog Cart (like those trendy lunch trucks that are popping up) for late night meals on the run. As for the caterer for our sit down meal it was WB's own caterer, it was hit and miss at best with those guys. Once again you can tell when the budget is tight by the caterer who is doing your sit down meal. The good ones will cost production 'some coin' but worth it in the end to keep the crew and cast happy. Again it's the small things that count the most. 
For me I use caution when nibbling, like eating bananas or mixed nuts; every now and then I would take one of those bite size candies like Mars or Hershey's (I think I had about 4 for the whole week). I would eat the hors d'oeuvres depending on what it was. Most of the time it was meat & cheese tray with crackers or shrimp, crab/seafood mix spread. Later in the day or night when we would be close to or long past the twelfth hour it would be one of the 'trendy lunch trucks' or something brought in from someplace. Food like fancy mac & cheese along with chicken wings, pastrami or meatball sandwiches, Chinese noodles with stir fry, roasted chicken (lunch truck) just to mention a few. I only ate if I was hungry and when I did it was small portions. Most of the time I didn't eat off the main caterer, I would eat later when craft service brought in something special. But if I did eat off the main caterer I would only take a taste of what was brought in by craft service, sometimes not always. I kept myself in check and not to make the usual mistake of grazing at the craft service table every time I was bored or need a pick me up (I used coffee for that). As for the morning I would hit the local Starbucks for my 'first cup of the day' with a cheesy bagel/cream cheese to start my day (that was my breakfast). I would enjoy my cup of java and bagel while commuting in AM rush hour traffic.Now for the pix I'm posting with this blog. This was on the last day of shooting at Taft High School. I was told these where Lady Gaga knockoffs. To me they look more like anime style kittens. Which is more sexier. To bad they didn't have the little anime kitten outfit, skin tight suit with tail and thigh high stiletto boots.


Special thanks to one of my favorite pencilers, I do enjoy your style.

No comments:

Post a Comment